Originally posted on DrexelNow.
A new center on Drexel University’s campus in the University City section of Philadelphia is now offering high-quality, scientifically informed, affordable psychological services to clients of all ages from the city and surrounding region.
The Drexel Psychological Services Center offers assessments and therapy provided by doctoral students in Drexel’s highly competitive clinical psychology PhD program, who are working as trainees under the supervision of licensed professional faculty from the Department of Psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Drexel will formally celebrate its opening at a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Oct. 2.
“A real advantage of coming to Drexel’s Psychological Services Center is that we offer the newest evidence-based assessments and treatments,” said Jennifer Schwartz, PhD, director of the center. “These services have undergone scientific evaluation to demonstrate that they are effective, and are not always available in community practices.”
Most services at Drexel’s Psychological Services Center are offered on a sliding fee scale and medical insurance is not accepted. Fees are typically set to be manageable for clients and depend on the size and income level of the client’s household. The center welcomes members of the surrounding communities and students at other universities, but encourages full-time Drexel students to continue to use the University’s Counseling Center, free of charge.
The center’s areas of specialty align with those of Drexel’s psychology faculty, including:
- Mood and anxiety disorders, including evidence-based treatments for stress, depression, anxiety, phobias, trauma, grief, relational issues and identity concerns
- Disorders of eating, including anorexia, bulimia, compulsive overeating and weight management, bariatric surgery evaluations
- Behavioral medicine, including evidence-based approaches to stress management, sleep disorders, concerns related to reproductive health and living with chronic pain or other physical health problems
- Clinical neuropsychological assessments including services for attention and executive functioning, learning and memory, concussion and mild traumatic brain injury and other neurological injuries and diseases
- Child and adolescent services including evidence-based treatments and assessments for behavioral concerns such as ADHD, mood problems, social skills challenges, academic and school challenges, health risk behaviors and more
- Forensic psychological assessments, including assessments of intellectual ability and adaptive function for justice-involved individuals
As a training facility for Drexel’s doctoral students, the Psychological Services Center offers many advantages to clients as well as to the trainee clinicians. Clinicians carry small caseloads and are able to devote a great deal of attention to each client. Clinicians are closely monitored by, and meet regularly with, their experienced supervisors to ensure they are delivering the best possible care.
Individuals interested in seeking services at Drexel’s Psychological Services Center should call 215.553.7128 to schedule a no-cost intake appointment to determine if the center is a good fit.
For more information about the Psychological Services Center, visit the clinic website.
– See more at: http://drexel.edu/now/archive/2014/September/Psychological-Services-Center-Opens/